California Prison Focus has several major areas of direct action. Volunteers can find it easy to plug into these areas by contacting the lead person for each area or coming to our meetings.
More information on volunteering here
- Prisoner Correspondence: We receive dozens of letters from prisoners each week. We need help to sort through these letters and respond to prisoners' requests and needs.
- "Prison Focus" Newsletter : Our newspaper/newsletter is primarily by prisoners and for prisoners, their friends and families. Archived past issues are available free for download from our publications page. More recent issues and a year long subscription are provided with a donation of $20 or more ($6 for prisoners and free to those with SHU addresses). Volunteers can assist the editors in researching key topics of interest, writing articles, or working to assemble and proofread the next issue.
- KPOO Radio: Our radio show provides the most up to date information about prison conditions and prison reform. It airs every Thursday morning in the Bay Area on 89.5 FM from 11:00 am to noon. Volunteers can help develop the theme or topic for a specific show and help broadcast it live.
- Prison Investigative Visits: We have been interviewing prisoners in California’s SHU facilities for the past fifteen years. CPF has conducted over 50 visits logging more than 1,000 interviews primarily at Pelican Bay State Prison and Corcoran State Prison. We publish our findings in our newspaper, Prison Focus, and other publications.
- Office help: To survive, we need help with various office tasks such as answering the phone, responding to emails, and maintaining our newsletter and membership database.
©2007-2013, All Rights Reserved