Pelican Bay Prisoner Representatives Set Deadline
To Governor and CDCR: Peaceful protest resumes July 8th if our demands have not been met.
Read the reasons why and all of the demands here . More background information can be found on our Hunger Strike page or on the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Blog
Please continue to sign the online petition and contact state officials to demand oversight of CDCR to assure that all core prisoner demands are met. Our message is clear and consistent: End longterm isolation! Meet the core demands!
Prison Focus #39 is here!
- California Prison Focus works to abolish the California prison system in its present condition.
- We investigate and expose human rights abuses with the goal of ending long
term isolation, medical neglect, and all forms of discrimination.
- We are community activists, prisoners, and their families educating and
inspiring the public to demand change.
What CPF does
- We stand up strong against the cruel and torturous conditions of the California prison system, especially advocating for the immediate shut down of all SHU (Security Housing Units) cells and similar conditions of solitary confinement.
- We publish a quarterly magazine, Prison Focus, distributed free to SHU prisoners, $6 a year to other prisoners, and $20 a year to former prisoners, their family members, activists, and friends of CPF.
- We travel regularly to Pelican Bay and Corcoran state prisons to uncover and disseminate information on the current conditions prisoners must endure.
- We welcome new dedicated activists and volunteers to help us continue our mission. If you are interested in joining this important struggle, please contact us now.
Find us on Facebook and Twitter
©2007-2013, All Rights Reserved
Public Hearing on New Regulations for Solitary Confinement on Monday
February 25 , 2013
Rep. Tom Ammiano is holidng a Public Safety Committee hearing on the new regulations for SHU in Hearing Room 125 at 1:30 pm at the Capitol Building in Sacramento. Public Comment is welcome. Let your voice be heard! Public Rally at 11:30 am on West Sdie Steps.
California Prisoners End of Hostilities Goes Into Effect
October 10, 2012
The Agreement to End Hositilities issued by reps of the 2011 CA prison hunger strikers took effect today. It calls for an end to hostilities between racial groups in all CA prisons and jails. Read it here.
Amnesty International Denounces California SHU Conditions
Sept 27, 2012
Read their press release or the full report
Law Suit Filed
May 31, 2012
California Prison Focus, with the Center for Constitutional Rights and others, filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of Pelican Bay SHU prisoners. The class action suit asserts that prolonged solitary con-finement is cruel and unusual punishment, and that the absence of meaningful review of SHU placement violates prisoners’ right to due process.