CPF NEEDS YOUR HELP!
CPF is an all-volunteer nonprofit organization. We need help with answering prisoners' letters, educating the public about prison conditions, raising money, and investigating human rights violations. Regular visits to Pelican Bay and Corcoran State Prisons to interview prisoners are an essential means of getting up-to-date information and helping prisoners defend their rights. CPF will help you learn about prison activism as you work, so jump in--get involved now!
Ways to get started
- Email marilyn(at)prisons(dot)org. Please make sure the word “volunteer” is in the subject line.
- Show up at the next activist meeting.
- Come to the next Volunteer Night.
- Correspondence – answering mail from prisoners, sending out information, making referrals, and developing contacts inside
- Investigating prison conditions – visiting prisons and participating in depth in the human rights work and prisoner support and advocacy
- Human rights reports – Update our database, or write reports.
- Outreach – attending events, tabling and passing out literature, setting up talks and classes
- Newsletter – doing research, copy editing, writing and proofreading
- Fundraising – writing grants, researching grant opportunities, developing fund raising campaigns and yearly fundraising letter
- Staffing the office – sorting mail, answering email, photocopying resources, handling urgent FAXs and requests, keeping the office clean and organized
Activist Meetings (monthly)
The next CPF activist meeting: TBA at 1904 Franklin Street, #507, Oakland (one block from 19th Street BART) from 7:00-9:00pm. We will discuss our current issues and strategize about how to move forward to shut down the SHU and defend prisoners' rights.
Volunteer Nights (weekly) [suspended until our schedules stabilize]
Please contact Marilyn at marilyn(at)prisons(dot)org to arrange when to come in to volunteer.
©2007-2013, All Rights Reserved